Google Cloud Memorystore for Redis API

I’m considering starting to make use of this offering on the Google Cloud Platform to create and manage my Redis instances. Is anyone using this service and have an opinion on the pros/cons?

Hello,

It is used by many projects; a great managed solution for caching, it does allow you to use Redis persistence.

If you are not aware of it, you can also use Redis from the Google Cloud Market Place and leverage all the features of Redis Enterprise, including modules.

If you only need a cache the memorystore will be good enough, but if you want to do more with Redis, the Redis Enterprise on GCP will be a better choice.

Regards
Tug
@tgrall

1 Like

@tgrall Thanks for the response. When you say “the memorystore will be good enough” for cache, does that mean that it will work well just limited functionality or are there other drawbacks to the service that you have encountered?

Hello,

I have not encountered them myself, since I am a Redis Labs employee and mostly working with Redis Labs and Redis OSS versions of the product.

The limitations that I can see are:

• Clustering Support (scalability)
  • Replication between multiple data-centers/regions (Active-Active Deployment)
  • Redis Modules such as Graph, RediSearch, JSON, …

Regards
Tug

1 Like